Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Back in Action - Laser Frostbiting



I decided to get out of my office cave and hit the water with my dusty Laser. My first time back in the boat was a fright festival, 20-24 knot southerly at SSA where i went out w/o my life jacket, brain cells clearly not working. I got a little freaked out and reached around for 25 minutes planing wildly and then came in. I was sore and inspired to hit the gym. I decided 30- 40 minutes 4 times a week spinning plus 2-3 weight sessions would help. I have recently had a round of antibiotics and prednisone due to a vicious chest cold, and the two swelled me up like a balloon. So i started the frostbite season at 205 lbs with a gutt (Tom Slingsby, 07/08 Worlds winner sails at 184lbs). I also invested in all kinds of gear to keep me comfortable. Zhik 3/4 hikers, Rooster Shin Tech Long John, Zhik Superwarm top, Gill booots and Gloves. All great choices and I can tell you, good comfortable gear makes a huge difference.

I sailed the entire Cooper River Yacht Club Series, 5 days total and had a blast! All days were 5-10 knots and we had an amazing run of 55 degree sunny days in November. The folks at CRYC are friendly, welcoming and the competition was really good. It also is 30 minutes to my lair in Paoli, PA, a little closer than SSA.


I learned a lot over the 5 days, I worked as hard as ever on my equipment, perhaps my days on the j/24 have taught me it pays to have all lines working smoothly and effortlessly, and to be cut to the right lengths and diameters. I added the new Laser blocks and switched to a 6mm line that runs like a champ at the weather mark on the big ease. I also copied the Paul Goodison cunningham and outhaul setup from his book, took some of his invaluable tips from light air sailing to heart = be smooth, weight placement, heel and vang tension. The other key element for me was to use a focus mantra. This meant to identify the key aspect of each situation and focus on it. Eg, off the line hike and stay of the guy to leeward, this helped me drastically. We have used this on the j/24 alot, mostly it is boat speed, boat speed, boat speed, in that order.

I have to comment that most classes don't have fantastic books published with pictures, diagrams and illicit instructions for each condition. The Laser class must have over 10 books that are really good. The 2 below are my favorites.

1. Paul Goodison, RYA Laser Handbook
2. Ben Ainslie, Laser Campaign Manual

I am happy to have gotten a good result, winning 3 of 5 days and the series in light air, so it tells me that 205 is too heavy, but with good technique it is doable in shifty conditions. I would much rather be 185 though certainly in open water sailing.

No comments: