Monday, September 9, 2019

Laser Technique - Bow Down

This last weekend I raced locally at Cedar Point Yacht Club. I sailed Lasers on Saturday and then Vanguard 15s on Sunday, a total of 15+ races - I was pretty worked afterwards. I continue to be a little heavy for the Laser, my wonderful dad body has me at 210 lbs, which is not exactly ideal for the Laser, but in the Weekend and Masters fleets, it isnt a big handicap, if anything I force myself to be very very disciplined with my weight placement, and my technique. There are times when I simply cant make up for it, but on the other hand I really focus on the following.....

1. Upwind, be sure to sit at the front of the cockpit, like 90% of the time, until waves start to form, then move aggressively back and heel to flick or power the boat through any waves, then move back. If you see a big set coming, get creative and sail around over or through, but dont let the boat stop in the waves.

2. Sail the boat as flat as you can. Marc Jacobi taught me in puffs, let the boat power up then get it flat hike and go for height when your centerboard is working. So this means, if puffs, a flat boat will sail about slightly higher and the same speed as one heeling even a little bit to leeward.

3. After watching Optimist sailors all summer, your hips have to be in the boat close to the cockpit and your shoulders out.

4. Downwind, always sail either, by the lee or reaching slightly. Use your weight to roll gybe or flatten smoothly but powerfully. Use your feet and knees to control the boat.

5. Upwind, put the bow down and get the centerboard working well.

6. Drink a lot of water, and have fun!

No comments: